Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dappled Cities

Dappled Cities- Zounds

I'm not sure when they decided to kick the 'fly' from their name but, it seems kick has turned to 'kick ass'.

I've finally ripped the bandaid off to see what's been under since I first listened to them at the Cockatoo Island Festival.

Opener 'Hold Your Back' sets the albums curve.

It's not echoing through my universe but, worth the listen. It's one of those hit-miss, slow burn to goodness LP's it seems.

After the fifth listen so far 'Missing Ships' has suckered me into the score leaving first single 'The Price' to be the sibling you ditched to hang out with your friends at the mall. You're related, just not by choice.

I think 'The Price', although a catchy song as regarded by airplay, doesn't show the mood of the album nor the brilliance that slowly emerges. Even if that brilliance doesn't seem too diverse.

So kick arse? Yes. Classic? No.

Listen

Year released: 2009

Produced by: Chris Coady (TV on the Radio)

Rads up my system more than: The Killers- Anything

Sucks arse compared to: Grizzly Bear- The Veckatimest

No comments:

Post a Comment